Amazon Marketplace sellers who ship products themselves, as opposed to using Amazon’s facilities, will have their items “automatically authorized” for return beginning Oct. 2.
According to CNBC, this means a buyer will no longer need to contact the seller before sending an item back, and the merchant won’t have the opportunity to communicate with the customer.
In Addition, Amazon said it will introduce “returnless refunds,” a feature it says is “highly requested by sellers.” This feature entails a refund without taking back an item that may be expensive to ship and hard to resell.
Amazon is making every effort to provide the same experience for customers regardless of whether the products they buy come from Amazon or a third-party merchant, reported CNBC.
The email that Amazon sent, which was posted on an Online Forum, reads the following in full:
“Dear Seller, Amazon is simplifying the returns process on items fulfilled by sellers. Starting Oct. 2, returns of items that you fulfill and that fall within the Amazon returns policy will be automatically authorized. Customers will be able to print a prepaid return shipping label via the Online Return Center instantly.
We are also introducing ‘returnless refunds,’ a feature that is highly requested by sellers. If you so choose, you will now be able to set rules and automatically issue a refund without requiring an item to be shipped back to you. Sellers have requested this because, in many cases, it allows you to save on both return shipping and processing costs.
We hope these changes will reduce the effort required to manage your returns and decrease your customer Return Dissatisfaction Rate, thereby improving your ratings. Additionally, you will have full visibility into the end-to-end return process through shipment tracking information located on the Manage Returns page in Seller Central.
Below are a few key details:
1. You are required to have a return address on file. If you want to specify a separate return address, please update your information in Seller Central. If you have not specified a return address by October 2, your business address will be used as the return address.
2. You are required to issue a refund within two business days of receipt of a return. If you do not take action regarding the refund request, Amazon may refund the customer on your behalf and charge the amount to your seller account.
3. You might be responsible for the cost of return shipping in accordance with Amazon’s policies.
4. Certain items are not eligible for prepaid return shipping. You can request exemptions for specific items in your inventory after August 31.
5. You can appeal return disputes directly to Amazon.
To learn more, visit the Prepaid returns for seller fulfilled orders help page.”